Monday, April 9, 2012

Blog Post 9

What I've Learned This Year (2008-09)
About Dr. McClung


What I've Learned This Year (2008-09) must read for all new teachers. Dr. McClung is the author of a series of blogs and this one pertains to his first year of teaching. He list several guidelines for us as new teachers to follow. He advises us to be patient, to communicate, and to not be afraid of technology. When advised us to be flexible he gave a quote, "NO LESSON IS EVER PERFECT. THE LESSON YOU TEACH AND THE ONE YOU PLAN ARE ALWAYS DIFFERENT." Your first year of teaching is a learning experience, well ALL of your years of teaching will be a learning experience. The first year just allows you to trial and error different methods you can and will use for the future. He tells us not to throw a fit about our lesson plans and activities having a total different outcome than expected. The quote he gave about one his students, "I know my teacher cares about me as a person when he.
- Listens to what I say" was very inspirational. It just further shows how much our students really care that we pay attention to them. I think that EVERY teacher should have a wonderful Student-Teacher relationship. We are who our students see for the majority of a week-day's time. Taking the time out to listen to your students, teaching in a manner that is fun and somewhat caters to their likes and way of learning is a great way to effectively get your students to comprehend the curriculum you are trying to teach.

What I've Learned This Year (2009-10)

Dr. McClung informs us of his first year teaching junior high school students and his new teaching curriculum. He advises us to find a school mom, a teacher who has been teaching at the school for several years. She has the run down on how the school operates and functions. I agree with this and I think we all can relate to this. I know whenever I start a new job I always find a “job mom”. It provides a sense of security to me; it really helps with my confidence and improves my job performance. He tells us to be passionate, even if we’re faking it, about the subject we are teaching our students. If we as educators just stand in front of the classroom reading directly out of a book to our students they will be very bored. This creates behavior problems and possibly low test scores because our students are uninterested in the subject matter at hand. Dr. McClung also spoke about what really matters which is our students. He explained how the biggest conflicts in the school are not with the students they are with the staff, the adults! This is very true. Having a disagreement with how a staff member or administration is handling a situation should not be taken out negatively on your students. The students are our priority; just take the situation with a grain of salt and get back to what is really important, teaching your students as effectively as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment